March 29th, 2012
Howdy folks, I’ve been hit lately by a rash of sales pitches from social media “experts,” and the only rational response is to make fun of them. So with a nod to Letterman, here are my Top Ten Signs a “Social Media Expert” isn’t.
- He (and it’s probably a “he”) thinks Twitter follow-bots are a GREAT idea.
- He tells you to focus your outreach work on Google Plus.
- He thinks “email is dead.” (Note: bonus points if he says it in an email.)
- When you follow his Twitter feed, he sends you an automated sales pitch via DM.
- He thinks that the number of people who “Like” a Facebook page is all that matters.
- He automatically posts EVERY ONE of his tweets to Facebook.
- He thinks social media is the answer to all communications problems.
- He has fewer followers than your cat.
- His previous jobs have all been in sales.
- And finally: the only thing he measures is the size of your bank account.
What’d I miss? Add your own suggestions in the comments!