Check out last week’s top 10 over-performing Facebook posts, from the (roughly) 500 progressive groups followed by our friends at CrowdTangle. This week’s highlight: a little Viagria Jujitsu.
1. Miss Râ€¢EVOLutionaries (155.5x)
2. American Jewish World Service – AWJS (94.5x)
3. Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence (68.2x)
4. LA Beyond Coal Campaign (49.5x)
5. Human Rights Campaign (41.8x)
6. I Really Hate Corrupt Politicians…! (40.5x)
7. Seismologik Intelligence (37.4x)
8. Progressive Democrats of America (35.5x)
9. National People’s Action (34.4x)
10. National Association of Letter Carriers (32.4x)
Explanation of the Scoring
These posts don’t represent the most-viewed pieces of content on Facebook (since that would almost entirely end up being dominated by the same small handful of large-audience Pages over and over). Instead, we list the posts that performed the best (using shares as the primary metric) against the organization Page’s OWN average (hence the word “over-performing”). To build the list, we CrowdTangle’s tracking system, which generates an average rate of growth for Pages over time (with at least 50 data points before a Page is scored). So, the "x" numbers listed above specifically represent how many more multiples of shares each post received compared with what the Page’s posts normally get. Note that we set a minimum bar of total engagement of around 500 shares or so.
CrowdTangle is a new tool that helps organizations easily keep track of what’s being shared on Facebook. Organizations can use it to find shareable content around their own issue area or to keep track of what affiliated Pages are posting on a regular basis. Launched in late January, the beta version of the tool is already being used by dozens of leading organizations across the country. If you want to see how it works, watch this short video: http://www.screenr.com/Iv1H