Greetings from Philadelphia! I’m here for Netroots Nation, where a couple of thousand of the finest people I know have gathered to discuss political organizing, effective digital campaigning and much more. I’m leading a training on Friday (Creative Digital Advertising for Politics & Advocacy) and attending panels for three days, and of course we’re collectively talking shop late into the boozy evening. A few things on my mind heading into the fray:
- Targeted outreach in hostile territory (Trump Country) via digital ads and other channels
- The need for long-term persuasion campaigns in Trump Country designed to punch through the Fox/Limbaugh bubble
- Why Democrats should avoid the temptation to copy the Russians and create fake outreach campaigns on Facebook and Twitter (more on that soon — I have a piece in the works)
- New tech for advocacy and organizing, including tech incubating in the presidential campaigns
- Big trends in digital politics and advocacy
- The fight to control state legislatures in 2020, with redistricting on the line
- The power of highly engaged grassroots activists to change our politics and elect new people to office.
That’s just a start, of course, and I’m looking forward to some great conversations about myriad things I haven’t heard of yet. Look me up if you’re in Philly! And if you want to talk about digital strategy consulting, I’m happy to chat.