More-frequent Quick Hits publishing = portion control.
- Perry announces for president at a conservative blogger gathering. Meanwhile, Texas Democrats Suit Up to counter him online, and Googlers wonder if he’s gay. Finally, will he be an Unconventional Web Candidate?
- David Cameron considers banning suspected rioters from social media, or Britain’s PM considers social media ban to curb riots. Worked in Egypt, right? C.f. Why a post-riot social media crackdown is doomed to fail, via K Street, and England riots: Twitter and Facebook users plan clean-up, via Xavier. Related: SF transit agency’s cell phone shutdown: Shielding commuters or hints of Orwell?
- Bachmann Camp Puts Digital Boots on Ground in Iowa. C.f. ‘Gaming’ the Ames Straw Poll.
- Court Says Sending Too Many Emails To Someone Is Computer Hacking, in this case, a labor union.
- Facebook Enables Zip Code Targeting for Ads. C.f. the Political Implications for Facebook ZIP Code Ad Targeting.
- Drug companies lose protections on Facebook, some decide to close pages.
- Likes on Facebook Are Not A Victory: Results Are!
- Tweet late, email early, and don’t forget about Saturday: Using data to develop a social media strategy, via Danielle Jackson.
- The Social Subway Dan Stessel, WMATA’s Twitter Guru, Wants to Make Washington Fall Back in Love with the Metro.
- Public online redistricting contest in Philly pleases redistricting data nerds everywhere!
- Christine O’Donnell Gets Amazon Bombed.
- The Fix’s best state-based political blogs (extended edition). Before you start, see 12 tips on how to approach bloggers.
- Americans Elect Shoots The Moon (And Misses). Tom Friedman likes it — must be doomed.
- Barak and Barack: Obama 2012 Narrowcasting to American Jews.
- Where Should You Invest Your Time: Google+, Search, or Email? The enduring presence of search and email in people’s online lives.
- Is Kick-Ass Visual Communication Important for Engineers?
- Hello from Salsa Labs — CRM system gets a plug in Texas political blog.
- Five Ways Nonprofits Can Use QR Codes, and In With the QR In-Crowd, perhaps insprired by Ben Donahower’s earlier article here?
- How to Leverage Social Media Supporters for Your Next Event.
- Niche Site Domination for Political Campaigns.
- Rebecca Black Quits Middle School After Bullying. Jerks! One small benefit: for her, every day is Friday now.
- 2005 Zuckerberg Didn’t Want To Take Over The World. Video of the artist as a young man.
- DIY Spy Drone Sniffs Wi-Fi, Intercepts Phone Calls. Now we’re talkin’ FUN!
Need more? See previous editions of Quick Hits.